Family Based Visas

There are non-immigrant U.S. Visas available for fiancé(e)s and spouses of U.S. Citizens that want to enter the U.S. prior to receiving their Green Cards.

Fiancé(e)s of U.S. Citizens (K-1 and K-2)

The K-1 Visa is available for fiancés and fiancées of the U.S. Citizens. K-2 Visas are available for their minor children that accompany them.

A K-1 Visa is required when a U.S. Citizen would like to marry his/her alien fiancé(e) in the U.S. rather than marry them abroad. If a couple intends to marry outside the U.S. or if a fiancé(e) is already residing legally in the U.S., then K-1 Visa is not required.

Spouses of U.S. Citizens (K-3 and K-4)

The K-3 Visa is available for spouses of U.S. Citizens who want to enter the U.S. prior to filing their Green Card application. The K-4 Visa is available for their minor children that accompany them.  A K-3 Visa helps an alien spouse to enter the U.S. and go through the adjustment of status process while inside the U.S. rather than go through consular processing outside the U.S.

The main difference between K-1 and K-3 visas is in the marital status of the applicant. If a couple is just planning to get married, then a K-1 visa is a correct choice of visa; alternatively, if the couple is already married, then a K-3 visa shall be obtained.  Please note that both K-1 and K-3 visas are only available to the significant others of the U.S. citizens.

Green Cards

Spouses of the U.S. citizens and U.S. lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders) are eligible to apply for a Green Card.

Contact The Law Offices of Michelle Neal for More Information

Obtaining Family Based Visas can be a confusing process and may not even be the right path for you to take. If you have questions on Family Based Visas, it is best to contact The Law Offices of Michelle Neal at (312) 566-9574 to discuss your case.

Quick Contact Form